Diet or exercise? Of course, without a doubt, the answer to this question is: Both. And the reason is that they complement each other. An intense exercise program supported by a proper diet guarantees the best results. But when it comes to the question of which of the two is more conducive to fat loss, you may be surprised by the answer.
Most people find it much easier to go to the gym and get soaked in sweat than to put down a loaf of bread or stop themselves from opening a bag of chips. Exercise is always more comfortable than dieting. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could exercise until the last drop in the gym and then eat whatever you want? It would definitely be fun, but it’s not. This is because dieting contributes about 90% to fat loss, leaving only 10% for exercise. This may come as a big surprise to you, but it’s true. How is it done? Read below to find out why dieting has an advantage over exercise when it comes to weight loss.
You can’t escape a bad diet just by exercising yourself
You may have heard it said before by some people in the gym and you didn’t pay much attention to it, believing that it was a cafe conversation, but the above statement is one of the truest. Many people believe that if they are “hit” in the gym, they can go home and eat the whole fridge. After all, the main reason you exercise is to burn calories, right?
You think, “What’s the point of downloading a pizza now? After I go to the gym later. ” But have you ever thought that to burn only 1 piece of pizza you want more than 15 minutes on the treadmill? How about 4 or 5 or more pieces? Calculate! This applies to all foods, not just pizza. To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you consume. In short, not all exercises in the world can help a poor diet when it comes to weight loss.
It is easier to create a calorie deficit through diet
We said that in order to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you consume. There are two ways to do this: through diet or exercise. And here’s the thing: To lose just half a pound a week, you’ll need to burn (about) 3,500 extra calories this week. This means you need to burn (about) 500 calories each day. For some people, this is a funny number, but for others it is difficult. It’s much easier to limit your calorie intake from your diet than it is to go crazy on the treadmill and weights to burn those calories.
Sure, you can shake off some small daily “pleasures” for this purpose, such as avoiding Coca-Cola after your meal (which contains about 120 calories). In a perfect world, you could cut 250 calories from your diet and burn 250 calories at the gym, so you could reach a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day, but it doesn’t work that way. And if you want to lose more than half a kilo a week, by doing the calculation you will see that in the end it is easier to cut the food a little than to increase the intensity in your training more and more .
The food you eat is fueling your workouts
Do this experiment: Eat a Big Mac and drink a large glass of Coca-Cola before the gym one day and then the next, eat a banana and drink a glass of water before your workout. You probably already know which of the two will benefit you the most. Your body can’t do exactly what you want it to do. It is much more complex. When you feed your body unhealthy and junk food, rich in saturated and trans fats, sodium, and too many calories, it will definitely have a negative effect on your ability to exercise. It’s like peeing in the tank of your car and waiting for it to start! So your body needs the necessary fuel to perform.
There are many more back foods you eat
The food in our lives is more than satisfying the appetite and “tickling” the palate. Food is essential not only for survival and enjoyment but also for good health. In fact, the quality of the food we eat can either do good or destroy our body, creating an endless range of problems. Without quality food your body will slowly but steadily begin to be destroyed. And the first sign of this phenomenon is obesity.
So who wins? Diet or exercise?
The answer is nutrition. A proper diet will help you lose weight much faster than exercising on your own. There are many things a good diet can do that exercise can’t do. And it all starts with our habits , most of which have to do with the nutritional “education” we got as children. It is much harder to change one’s eating habits for decades than to get up and go for a walk.
The issue with dieting is also that it is much harder to understand how to do it properly than it is with exercise. The exercise is simple. Go to the gym, jump on the treadmill and start running. You lift a weight and lower it. Diet will help you lose the weight you want, but exercise will give you more. But without proper nutrition, you will not even have this “above”.